Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm So Trying to Justify Buying This ...

I love Williams-Sonoma. Some people might think this is cooking snobbery, but I blame my Aunt Betty who gave me my very first WS cook book (titled: Soup) when I was 12. Sure, I didn't actually make anything out of it until I graduated college, moved into a house with a roommate in Port Angeles, WA, and when I got snowed in for three days by myself, I cooked up a storm. But the Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup with Flanken and Greek Chicken and Lemon Soup with Orzo came out quite tasty, thank you very much.


I got Williams-Sonoma's sale email a few days ago, and I keep trying to justify buying the Bialetti Hot Chocolate Pot. It's 20% off! Just pour in some milk and chocolate, and voila! Hot chocolate! Fantasies of sipping a steaming cup of hot chocolate with whip cream on top danced before my eyes. (How can there be steam if whipped cream is topping the cup? Oh, details, never mind.) I even had a flash of inspiration this morning walking into work through the slowly drifting snow that I could pop that sucker on my desk and have hot chocolate at work! Of course!

But slowly, reality settled in. I don't even have a place to put this particular kitchen gadget (and I do love my kitchen gadgets). In fact, I put together a mini cabinet to store a bunch of my kitchen stuff since the new kitchen had half the space as the last kitchen. And do I really need a hot chocolate maker? Aren't I trying to lose weight? How often would I actually use it?

Reluctantly, I closed the Internet page and slowly let go of dreams of snuggling onto my couch, sipping a cup of hot chocolate ...

Sometimes I hate being a responsible, practical adult.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.